Saturday, October 16, 2010

House sitting

Over the coming months, I am looking into doing more House Sitting. As I have been approached to undertake more house sits, I am looking ahead to see if there are any other opportunities in this valuable service. A possible motto being:

"While you are a way don't fear as your pets wont be astray. Having me in your house also keeps your home safe and your fears of not having someone reliable in your home away".

I have worked with a House Sitting Agency and have had reference checks so my character and personal qualities remain in good standing. This is what I do in terms of house sitting:

When a person decides to take a holiday and is absent from their home, I have 2 initial meetings with them. In the first meeting, I arrange to meet the person at the home and will only take on the job if the house is respectable, clean and in good order. With the home owner I look around the house and discuss any issues, concerns or desires they want for their home. My main emphasis of course is looking after pets while owners are away and ensuring parents are looked after, fed and cared for while the owner is away. I also will find out about other duties such as collecting mail, doing minor garden work, and other duties as required. At the first meeting, I find out first hand about the wishes of the home owner and work out my bearings in the home and to find out emergency contacts. I ensure that the homeowner feels reassured while away that their pets are in safe hands and furthermore I am occupying their house while they are away on holiday. I also discuss other matters with the occupants which are of importance also.

There are benefits to both the house owner and the house sitter.

The home owner has reassurance while away that their home is safe, secure and their pets are being looked after, exercised and fed accordingly. Mail is also fetched and the home is occupied creating less likely potential for security risk in the house being unoccupied. Also pets do not have to put into a boarding facility thus reducing hassle significantly and also pets do not experience separation anxiety. Less stress on pets also and hassle as the pet stays in the home.

The house sitter. The person is able to maintain an independent lifestyle and can ensure that their lifestyle skills are continuing to be used such as cooking and looking after themself. Furthermore, if the person enjoys animals, these animals can be looked after and cared for as well as the house sitter feeling a sense of responsibility in looking after the home owner's property and house while they are away. Electricity and water bills are not wasted as someone is putting these to use rather than having the home owner paying 'dead' money and rent when nobody is in the home.

Once I have met with the home owner, and worked out the dates of departure and arrival, and other important matters, I then organise a second meeting before departure to discuss the finer and more important details of looking after the animals and also obtaining keys to the premises in order for my occupancy when the home owner is away. I also arrange to contact home owners while away to keep them informed of the progress of pets and to be reassured that their home is in safe hands.

I have obtained positive feedback from the work I undertake and should you be interested in me house sitting for you, you can also contact Simple Sitting House Sitting http://www.simplysitting.com.au/ I only undertake house sitting through this service or if I am referred to by friends and other networks I know of for service.

I am house sitting in the months of January, March, and April 2011 and will be away in May 2011. Any other months I am free for providing service should I be contacted or anyone interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment