Friday, October 22, 2010

Helping the Disability Employment Agencies to Understand

This afternoon I have contacted both Centrelink and randomly called some Disability Employment Agencies in Brisbane to gauge from them how much awareness they have in Asperger Syndrome. My objective would be to find out how I could provide a service to these agencies by way of promoting more awareness of Asperger Syndrome from a personal perspective and to see where and how an adult with Asperger Syndrome can be placed into employment. Lacking the necessary contacts makes this task almost impossible for having contacted both Centrelink and some Disability Employment Agencies in Brisbane, I am yet to receive calls regarding my expression of interest.

The awareness would involve me delivering a power point presentation to the Disability Employment Agency concerned and more importantly focusing on the strengths of clients on the employment agency's books. The service I am providing would be doing something positive as few very employment agencies may be fully aware of the needs of an adult with Asperger Syndrome and more importantly the adult's strengths and weakness in terms of employment opportunities. Once again I am probably wasting my energy but I am also sick of not using my brain more and trying to help others.

If I were successful in obtaining a grant for this project, my objective would be to greatly increase the level and support required for adults with Asperger Syndrome in finding employment. Once again complacency seems to be an issue but at least I am prepared or was prepared in giving this a go! If I receive any updates or progress, these will be posted to my blog for your information.

No comments:

Post a Comment