Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Autism Vaccine Debate and finding a cure

A fellow Aspie informed me this afternoon of a negative campaign happening in the United States concerning Autism and vaccine. I was informed personally by this friend that vaccines are seen as a problem and furthermore there is an attack on pharmaceutical companies and the medical profession for apparently vaccinating children at an early age. Look surely we need to stop trying to see Autism as a negative and more so a positive. Why as a society do we need to cure people who are on the Autism Spectrum? What also gives society the right to say that all people should be regular and other needs and attributes cured?

I think as a society we have to stop closing the shutters on Autism and seeing it as some kind of burden because we can actually learn from people who have Asperger Syndrome and I see Aspies as playing an essential role in ensuring society is kept in check. More importantly there are break throughs happening in terms of employing person on the Autism Spectrum and there are many benefits upon doing so.

I may not be an expert nor have I the ability to write a book and get it published but I am a person with Asperger Syndrome. I was never vaccinated at an early age and blaming Autism fairly and squarely on vaccine is just an over rated American propaganda exercise. Certain high profile people have to think with their heads more so than their egos as to what they are really saying and assuming they pretend to know. We as a society need to see the merits and benefits of persons on the Autism Spectrum and give them a chance and a go in life. I know a lot of adults who I believe have just given up knowing that they will never be understood and supported. Surely this can change?!! People with Autism do not have to hear all blame falling on vaccine as it is skirting away and avoiding the real issue of doing something positive and constructive about Autism. We need to give people on the Autism Spectrum a chance and stop writing them off and stereotyping them. People on the Autism Spectrum think and behave differently and why should they confront attack or criticism etc. Surely a more positive focus needs to be on Autism and lets do something about it! As a society stop closing the shutters and pretending Autism is too difficult a problem and start acting responsibly. Start to learn, listen, understand more so than exclude, avoid and reject. Together we can make a difference but continuing to be ignorant is not going to change anything, it is just suppressing and avoiding a problem that can be nurtured and encouraged by a positive means and direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment