Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Asperger Syndrome awareness.

One of the criticisms I have received is that I am supposedly obsessed with Asperger Syndrome. Let me begin by defending such criticism in that if I did not promote awareness or undertake the work I do, what hope would there be for people like myself and other people with Asperger Syndrome? I have tried to adapt to the way of the modern world but I find I am unable to do so and if I try, then I am not being myself and furthermore, I will become more depressed and unhappy with who I am as a person. Adults like myself cannot help it that we are inflicted with Asperger Syndrome and why should we have to adjust to the world in order to fit in, when our brains are differently wired to other people and we see things differently? I believe there needs to be a greater awareness of Asperger Syndrome for despite its often unknown or negative stereotype, people with Asperger Syndrome have a lot to be proud of. Firstly, without Aspies as we like to call ourselves, this world would be a very boring place and furthermore innovation would not exist. Secondly, there are a lot of good points and positive characteristics that Aspies give to the world. As I said before we are not all talented people but we do possess a lot of dedication, eccentricity and innovation to the world. You only have to look around to see this. I do not want to live a life where I think only of myself either. I am tired of the way the world is going to be honest as I don't think people use their minds enough and furthermore take on the challenge to actually be themselves. I am not going to sit on the corner and just accept things the way they are and not promote awareness where I can of Asperger Syndrome, especially in adults. The polls in this blog are interesting as the votes are coming in and hopefully they may be able to reflect the challenges, concerns and difficulties adults have within the community at large. The issues of high unemployment, and a great over looking of potential in adults with Asperger Syndrome needs to be overcome. I really do not see Asperger Syndrome as a disability but more so an impairment in some key areas of functioning and seeing Asperger Syndrome as a disability is not always the best way to look at it. I know many adults with Asperger Syndrome and they are good people but because society has become more and more casualised and a sense of some routine and accountability are disappearing, adults often struggle to fit in and belong. I believe that labels easily apply in today's world and to quickly box someone into some box is the way people seem to think and feel. When something is difficult or a person with Asperger Syndrome presents an issue or concern, often the wrongful stereotype applies in that they are anxious or that they need to be stereotyped without them having the opportunity to express the situation the way they see it and perhaps be understood and advised accordingly. I do not want to be a famous person or enter the Guinness Book of Records but more so create a world of tolerance and understanding for adults with Asperger Syndrome. My job is to enlighten the world about Asperger Syndrome in adults and I do have other interests, it is just that I am tired of the ignorance and lack of awareness and understanding out there. I know adults with Asperger Syndrome cannot change the world which is not out intention but hopefully getting more awareness out to intellectually curious people and those interested in understanding is but one way to go? Please try to see the awareness that is occurring and my efforts before you criticise for it is not only me that suffers but many adults out there who also want to be understood and accepted in mainstream society. I may not represent the views of all Aspies but promoting awareness of Asperger Syndrome surely is not a problem?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for being so...focused on Aspergers! I am also and make no apologies for taking an interest in my previously hidden adn overlooked state of being for the past 46 years. Good Job Garry!!!

    ReplyDelete