The personal experiences and stories of an adult with Asperger Syndrome on the Autism Spectrum by Garry Burge.
Friday, March 26, 2010
Achievements to date
Over the last 12 months I have become very active and involved in Asperger Syndrome awareness in adults and often I can be criticized as being obsessed or in needing other interests. I can assure you that I do have other interests but what is most and of utmost importance to me is support for adults with Asperger Syndrome. Over the last 12 months I have created 3 Facebook Groups which are growing in membership, created my own blog which I am currently writing this post on, helped establish a support group for adults with Asperger Syndrome (primarily staff and adults at university) undertaking post graduate research at university and finally been elected to the University Sub Committee for Staff with a Disability. Tomorrow I am meeting with Asperger Adults at the University of Southern Queensland and will be touching base again with Chris Mitchell an adult with Asperger Syndrome from the United Kingdom in April. I am also looking at the possibility of being involved in a film of my accounts of having Asperger Syndrome as an adult. A lot of the work and other key people who are involved in Asperger Syndrome awareness are largely unpaid for their work and do it on a voluntary basis. We are often asked why we do it but the simple answer is that so many people with Asperger Syndrome make a valuable contribution to society. Why should they have to endure social isolation, exclusion, and rejection from others when they can input and give so much back to the community? I believe I can do a great deal more than I am at present. I will be undertaking a skills enhancement where I work in the University Library shortly and I am looking forward to this at last. Here I will learn more duties than what I am presently undertaking. I will be soon heading to Europe and the family Doctor thinks I am crazy as I am only going to Europe on a 15 day tour. He believes the distance is too far and I will come back deflated. I think life is to be lived and you can only make the most of what you have in front of you.
A lot of the work is outside my current employment and having time to devote to awareness is something I don't mind doing. I would rather help other people than think about myself, as I get more stimulation from this and a sense of self worth. I also monitor the behaviour of 3 cats and I am interested in their behaviour which I believe is similar to people with Asperger Syndrome. Cats have their own tendencies and characteristics of interaction which is unique to them. People don't understand me and this is not my problem. I believe God put me on this planet for a purpose and that is to help where I can. I do have my own faith but I don't believe in ramming it down other people's throats. I believe that every person finds their own place on earth and if some want to find the pathway to God then that is their choice.
As an adult with Asperger Syndrome I have learned to be sociable where I need to and I have time to myself to recharge my batteries where needed after exhausting social interaction. I am a person I feel proud of as I am strong willed and I try my best to make the world a better place. Often people distance themselves from me rather than supporting me but you can only do the best you can and try to do the right thing. Over the coming weeks my blog will be updated with what I am doing so those of you interested can find out first hand. My interests are many including History, Music, Travel, Meditation, Theology, Spiritualism, Philosophy, Reading, Movies and occasionally photography. I enjoy writing too as it is therapy for me and a way to express myself which I am unable to do in conversation without struggling at it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment