It is often difficult when you are wired differently to other people. Although you look the same as them biologically and physically, your internal thinking and thought process just differs. I have noticed that with other Aspies that I tend to find myself 'double thinking'. This is a process where not only do I have to use my intelligence to think but I also find myself doing their thinking. This process in itself can be exhausting or in some instances anxiety provoking. I draw your attention once again to the case of Genvieve Edmonds who was a female on the Autism Spectrum. Genevieve undertook a great deal of advocacy work for adults on the Autism Spectrum. She wrote many books, articles and tried to help other adults on the Autism Spectrum. Within her own life though she was experiencing constant and heightened anxiety. She was not getting the help she required and sadly she committed suicide as a result. This is why people need to understand the Autism Spectrum better. If they cannot see what is happening, then sadly it can just be too late. I just find that largely people are unaware of their behaviours but some non Autistic people try their best to understand our world. We are largely introspective and not always aware of things we may be doing.
Across the Autism Spectrum anxiety is a serious issue. I know of adults who exercise regularly to try and control the levels of anxiety which they experience. I know myself the benefits of just getting the heart rate up and cardio vascular system working to release serotonin and other chemicals to the brain. Some friends I know jog, walk, and just do some cardio exercises just to increase heart rate and reduce anxiety as best they can. Exercise is important and it does not always need to be physical or overly strenuous. I believe that Aspies are prone more to allergy and indigestion problems. I think this is because our bodies are constantly in a raised state of alertness. With an alertness the internal tension mainly due to anxiety causes the body's digestive system to not digest food properly and also affect the immune system. What I am simply saying is the body of an Aspie is trying to control anxiety levels more so than largely fight off illness and sickness. Of course this needs to be proved medically. If food is not digesting in the body properly the question is how does it affect other parts of the body, especially the brain? Is the brain actually being influenced by chemicals which have not been broken down in the body properly etc? I have found that I have always had problems and issues with indigestion. Some foods have driven me into sensory overload and some have even made me feel tired, irritable, cranky etc. I am just not sure exactly which ones but I do know I have certain allergies. I am wondering if milk or the processing of foods is in fact having an affect and causing an increase in Autism or more importantly aggravate its symptoms? I know of some Aspies who cannot drink milk, or react seriously to Gluten. Do we therefore need a different diet?
Exercise is important for everyone but for Aspies it is a way to significantly reduce anxiety. Just going for a walk, jog, or even using a treadmill in the gym can assist a lot with controlling anxiety. When negative thoughts encroach it is important to control the thoughts more so than the thoughts controlling you. I know of one Aspie who deals with negative thoughts by simply controlling these thoughts and not allowing them to flourish. I do not think there is an Autism epidemic but I do believe that there is more awareness. With awareness comes the need for support and coping strategies for the adult population. Services still need to catch up and awareness and it is important that exercise exists to better place Aspies in a position of largely being free of anxiety. Ask yourself if you are Aspie the following questions. Is your wiring different? How do you manage anxiety? What is the importance of exercise in your life and are you getting enough of it?
Across the Autism Spectrum anxiety is a serious issue. I know of adults who exercise regularly to try and control the levels of anxiety which they experience. I know myself the benefits of just getting the heart rate up and cardio vascular system working to release serotonin and other chemicals to the brain. Some friends I know jog, walk, and just do some cardio exercises just to increase heart rate and reduce anxiety as best they can. Exercise is important and it does not always need to be physical or overly strenuous. I believe that Aspies are prone more to allergy and indigestion problems. I think this is because our bodies are constantly in a raised state of alertness. With an alertness the internal tension mainly due to anxiety causes the body's digestive system to not digest food properly and also affect the immune system. What I am simply saying is the body of an Aspie is trying to control anxiety levels more so than largely fight off illness and sickness. Of course this needs to be proved medically. If food is not digesting in the body properly the question is how does it affect other parts of the body, especially the brain? Is the brain actually being influenced by chemicals which have not been broken down in the body properly etc? I have found that I have always had problems and issues with indigestion. Some foods have driven me into sensory overload and some have even made me feel tired, irritable, cranky etc. I am just not sure exactly which ones but I do know I have certain allergies. I am wondering if milk or the processing of foods is in fact having an affect and causing an increase in Autism or more importantly aggravate its symptoms? I know of some Aspies who cannot drink milk, or react seriously to Gluten. Do we therefore need a different diet?
Exercise is important for everyone but for Aspies it is a way to significantly reduce anxiety. Just going for a walk, jog, or even using a treadmill in the gym can assist a lot with controlling anxiety. When negative thoughts encroach it is important to control the thoughts more so than the thoughts controlling you. I know of one Aspie who deals with negative thoughts by simply controlling these thoughts and not allowing them to flourish. I do not think there is an Autism epidemic but I do believe that there is more awareness. With awareness comes the need for support and coping strategies for the adult population. Services still need to catch up and awareness and it is important that exercise exists to better place Aspies in a position of largely being free of anxiety. Ask yourself if you are Aspie the following questions. Is your wiring different? How do you manage anxiety? What is the importance of exercise in your life and are you getting enough of it?